Tuesday, March 04, 2008

What Type of Information Technology User Are You?

Pew Internet & American Life Project has broken down the general population into 10 different areas as it relates to users of information technology.

  • Omnivores - 8% of general population
  • Connectors - 7%
  • Lackluster Veterans - 8%
  • Productivity Enhancers - 9%
  • Mobile Centrics - 10%
  • Connected But Hassled - 10%
  • Inexperienced Experimenters - 8%
  • Light But Satisfied - 15%
  • Indifferents - 11%
  • Off the Network - 15%
Basically, half the population is not connected to technology. Of those, you have a few who are wanting to experiment and learn how to be connected to technology. The other half are connected to technology and a few of those wish that they were not.

Where would you fit? No need to guess. Take this quiz and find out. I am a "Lackluster Veteran". Leave a comment and let me know where you fall.

via Library in Black

8 comments:

Doris G. Dixon said...

I am a Connector.

"Connectors combine a sense that information technology is good for social purposes with a clear recognition that online resources are a great way to learn new things."

Doris @ Raleigh

Anonymous said...

So...I'm An Omnivore. Big Surprise there! Thanks for posting this quiz and information. I always assume that all are totally excited about technology. (And I know the joke about ass-u-me. Thanks to Brother Christopher.)
-hillary pesson

Anonymous said...

I, too, am a connector.

"The Connectors' collection of information technology is used for a mix of one-to-one and one-to-many communication. They very much like how ICTs keep them in touch with family and friends and they like how ICTs let them work in community groups to which they belong." So true for me...especially as how my family lives 8 hours away!

Thanks for this post!
Beth, Highland Branch Library

Jesse Pool said...

I was an Omnivore.

I think it was probably just barely, though, since a number of the things I marked I had only done a few times or sporadically.

Anonymous said...

I am an Omnivore. I am not surprised. I very much do all that they targeted especially using technology in unusual and creative ways. My artwork is online and I have a stock pile of images to use for future projects.

However, I disagree that I am in a 28 year old, white male. (at least not the last time I checked. heh.) --Though they did get right that I am still a student (for a few more months at least).

Michelle Bledsoe @ Pop-white

Alice Kendall said...

I'm a connector. Not sure how that happened. I was striving for "lackluster veteran" which fits the image I'm trying to promote best.

Alice@Parkway

Anonymous said...

I'm an omnivore, which is funny since I don't even have a DVD player and I think my cell phone is evil. Of course, they didn't ask about that...

Alan Stewart said...

Hey, I'm an Omnivore. Is anyone surprised?